Hola! Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Wondering what to do on Mexico’s traditional day of celebration? Well, head on down to Cancun on the Yucatán peninsula. And don’t forget to take a day trip to Chichen Itza. Just make sure you do it before the end of 2012 (it’s Mayan, you know).
5 Things to do in Cancun
1. Relax at an all-inclusive resort hotel on the beach. Once you arrive everything is already included – all meals, all drinks, all goofy pool games, and all 15 or so miles of the beach along the hotel zone.
2. Be Active at the various hotels, marinas, and yes, even a sinkhole. Take a smiling parasail ride, or if you’re really daring, dive into one of the many Yucatan sinkholes.
3. Shop in Cancun, or work your way down to the Mayan Riviera. Or head inland to check out the Mayan artwork.
4. Visit Chichen Itza. If Cancun is like being in Miami (English and dollars are more prevalent than Spanish and pesos), then Chichen Itza is like going back in time. This center of Mayan civilization is a marvel to see.
5. Watch the sunrise. Come on, it’s the beach. Of course you’re going to watch the sunrise.
I’ll have much more on Cancun and Chichen Itza in the future (this was just to whet your appetite). I’ll have some videos and many more photos and ideas for what to do. But before then, let’s take a quick look at…
What not to do in Cancun
Note the cell phone, an iPad, and even a laptop at his feet. Okay, Mr. Workaholic. Step away from the electronic devices and put on some sun block.